Il gio 4 mag 2023, 14:56 Fabiano Rosas <faro...@suse.de> ha scritto:

> It's a bit hard to maintain the original intention with just
> documentation. Couldn't we require that --without-default-devices always
> be accompanied by --with-devices?

Maybe, but why would it be bad to just patch the default .mak file?

And more to the point of Peter's
> question, couldn't we just leave the defaults off unconditionally when
> --without-default-devices is passed without --with-devices?

No, for example RHEL adds a lot of devices and is perfectly usable without
--nodefaults, but we still use --without-default-devices because we want
any new config to be opt in, unless it's always needed.

The coupling of -nodefaults with --without-default-devices is a bit
> redundant. If we're choosing to not build some devices, then the QEMU
> binary should already know that.

--without-default-devices is not about choosing to not build some devices;
it is about making non-selected devices opt-in rather than opt-out.

Paolo