On 5/3/23 22:39, Fabiano Rosas wrote:
For the documentation builds (man pages & manual), we let Sphinx
decide when to rebuild and use a depfile to know when to trigger the
make target.

We currently use a trick of having the man pages custom_target take as
input the html pages custom_target object, which causes both targets
to be executed if one of the dependencies has changed. However, having
this at the custom_target level means that the two builds are
effectively serialized.

We can eliminate the dependency between the targets by adding a second
depfile for the man pages build, allowing them to be parallelized by
ninja while keeping sphinx in charge of deciding when to rebuild.

Since they can now run in parallel, separate the Sphinx cache
directory of the two builds. We need this not only for data
consistency but also because Sphinx writes builder-dependent
environment information to the cache directory (see notes under
smartquotes_excludes in sphinx docs [1]).

Note that after this patch the commands `make man` and `make html`
only build the specified target. To keep the old behavior of building
both targets, use `make man html` or `make sphinxdocs`.

1- https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/configuration.html

Unfortunately this breaks CentOS 8, which has an older version of ninja:

ninja: error: build.ninja:16369: multiple outputs aren't (yet?) supported by depslog; bring this up on the mailing list if it affects you

This was fixed in ninja 1.10.0.

Paolo