> On 19-May-2023, at 10:43 PM, Paolo Bonzini <pbonz...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 1:02 PM Ani Sinha <anisi...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>> Can we split this variable out to config-test.h maybe?
>>> Then you can reconfigure with a different iasl and QEMU
>>> will not be rebuilt, just the tests.
>>
>> TBH, it looks more and more like our previous approach was simple and
>> better before we started tying iasl to meson.
>
> What was the previous one? Can you point to the commit that complicated
> things?

40c909f534e3f3cd2 from what I can see. It requires a full QEMU build in order
to turn on CONFIG_IASL in bios-tables-test. At some point in the past, we could
just install iasl and rerun the test and it would discover iasl in the path if
CONFIG_IASL was not defined.

I have proposed a patch with the title "acpi/tests/bios-tables-test: pass iasl
path through environment variable”.
I have tested possible scenarios and it would satisfy my uneasiness. One thing
I could not find is how to discover OS environment variable from meson.build.
From what I could gather, currently it is not supported. Hence, when both
CONFIG_IASL is passed from the command line and meson discovers one of its own,
the meson one would be enforced and not the one developer passed.