On Wed, Jul 26, 2023 at 5:07 AM Thomas Huth <th...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 26/07/2023 09.33, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> > On 25/7/23 19:13, Peter Maydell wrote:
> >> Currently this CI job is failing:
> >>
> >> https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/jobs/4737819946
> >>
> >> because:
> >>
> >> (05/59)
> >> tests/avocado/boot_linux_console.py:BootLinuxConsole.test_arm_exynos4210_initrd:
> >> INTERRUPTED: Missing asset
> >> https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20190928T224601Z/pool/main/l/linux/linux-image-4.19.0-6-armmp_4.19.67-2+deb10u1_armhf.deb\nRunner
> >> error occurred: Timeout reached\nOriginal status: CANCEL\n{'name':
> >> '05-tests/avocado/boot_linux_console... (90.67 s)
> >>
> >> Why is a "Missing asset" causing a timeout after 90 seconds,
> >> rather than being accounted as a "SKIP" ("missing requirements
> >> in the test environment" sounds like what we have here) ?
> >
> > Maybe something to report to upstream Avocado.
>
> We're back to using Avocado v88.1 in QEMU. We first need someone who can
> update to the latest Avocado release and take care of the remaining
> problems... This is *very* frustrating.
>
>   Thomas

Hi Thomas,

As you might remember from a couple of months ago, I was (and still
am) running the Avocado QEMU tests extensively with the latest Avocado
and attempting to cover all gaps before the 103.0 LTS release.

To make it clear, Avocado is currently on sprint #103[1] which will
release 103.0, a "Long Term Stability'' release.  It may sound like a
marketing gimmick, but it's important for QEMU because we want to be
able to address all bugs that are eventually caught after its release
while still minimizing disruption.

The frustration you mentioned with the attempt to migrate from 88.1 to
101.0, and now back to 88.1 is the kind of disruption we want to
avoid.  With 103.0 LTS, like with 92.X LTS, we can and will release
minor releases with needed fixes.

So, this is also an invitation to everyone else running the
Avocado-based  QEMU tests with either Avocado 102.0, or the latest
development version and report issues.

BTW, Avocado's GitHub has a "customer:QEMU"[2] label that can be added
to issues that will certainly increase its classification and
priority.

PS: 88.1 was a minor release to address an issue with the release
process itself, so there were no differences from 88.0 that mattered
to users, nor was there the possibility of a 88.2 release with more
fixes.

Thanks,
- Cleber.

[1] - https://github.com/avocado-framework/avocado/milestone/29