чт, 16 мар. 2023 г., 10:36 Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <phi...@linaro.org>:

> On 16/3/23 08:17, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:
> >

> > чт, 16 мар. 2023 г., 10:05 Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <phi...@linaro.org
> > <mailto:phi...@linaro.org>>:
> >
> >     Hi Andrew,
> >
> >     On 16/3/23 01:57, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:
> >      > Looking at https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/8.0
> >     <https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/8.0>
> >      > <https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/8.0
> >     <https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/8.0>>
> >      >
> >      > ===
> >      > System emulation on 32-bit x86 and ARM hosts has been deprecated.
> >     The
> >      > QEMU project no longer considers 32-bit x86 and ARM support for
> >     system
> >      > emulation to be an effective use of its limited resources, and
> thus
> >      > intends to discontinue.
> >      >
> >      >   ==
> >      >
> >      > well, I guess arguing from memory-consuption point on 32 bit x86
> >     hosts
> >      > (like my machine where I run 32 bit userspace on 64 bit kernel)
> >     is not
> >
> >     If you use a 64-bit kernel, then your host is 64-bit :)
> >

> > No, I mean *kernel* is 64 bit yet userspace (glibc, X , ...) all 32bit.
> > So, qemu naturally will be 32-bit binary on my system.
>
> This configuration is still supported!
>
> Thomas, should we clarify yet again? Maybe adding examples?
>
> >     host: hardware where you run QEMU
> >     guest: what is run within QEMU
> >
> >     Running 32-bit *guest* on your 64-bit *host* is still supported.
> >
> >     We don't plan to support running 32-bit WinXP x86 (guest) on 32-bit
> >     Raspberry Pi 2 (host) for example.
> >
> >      > going anywhere, but what about 32bit userspace on Android tablets,
> >      > either via Limbo emulator or qemu itself in Termux?
> >
> >     *System* emulation [on 32-bit hosts] is deprecated. User emulation
> >     (such linux-user) is not. For example, you can still run 64-bit
> x86_64
> >     Linux binaries on a 32-bit ARM Raspberry Pi.
> >

> > Well, unrooted Android does not allow you to just load some perfectly
> > fine kernel module, so user-space emulation can't do all things
> > system-level one can. I also ran qemu-system-ppc on Huawei Matepad T8
> > (32 bit Android, too) for emulating old mac os 9. Yes, I can wait 10 min
> > per guest boot. Fedora 36 armhf boots even slower on emulation!
>
> Huawei MatePad T8 is based on a MediaTek MT8768 CPU which contains
> ARM Cortex-A53 cores. These cores implements the ARMv8-A 64-bit ISA,
> so theoretically it is able to run a 64-bit Android.

Good luck installing non-vendor Android on off the shelf device, also good
luck running 64bit Android in 2gb ram. To be honest yes before I had only
Android + termux setup for all my computer needs I cared less about
upstream removals - because I usually can revert things locally on
Slackware. But Termux is rolling distro, and there is not many
alternatives. So upstream decisions will hit here fast and hard.