On 11/01/2011 11:31, Marco Hugentobler wrote:

Not entirely correct. As QGIS works now, each new project
starts in Lon/Lat WGS84. If I all my layers are in the same
projected CRS I don't notice any problem *until* I want to
measure something ;-(
True, your suggestion to add the possibility to set a default CRS for the map
would be useful.

There will always be problems at some point if the layers / map CRS are not
properly set. I just want to avoid more complications compared to the current
situation if this is not the case ( because it happens so frequently in
practice ).

The ArcMap method of setting the project CRS based on the first layer that the user loads might be best. It's a "dumbed-down" solution that assumes the user doesn't understand what he's doing, but it will nicely cover those cases where all the data is in only one CRS.

Regards,
Marco