On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 7:06 PM, John C. Tull <jct...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You might want to sync the branch to current trunk, although that could
> create new problems I suppose.

You are right, I should merge trunk more frequently.

> Not surprisingly, the raster transforms can be very costly with large
> datasets. A hillside of mine that is 26828 × 28695 with 30m resolution takes
> several minutes to load in full view. When zoomed in considerably,
> performance is quite acceptable. (This particular file does not have pyramids
> built. It is noteworthy that the option to build pyramids is no longer
> available in the raster provider branch. A dialog saying the file type is not
> supported for pyramid building is shown. In trunk, the pyramid build option
> works for the same file.)

Pyramids are not yet enabled, at moment I pay attention to correct
basic rendering of all data types in all providers.

> Comparing the load time of this raster when the project CRS is the same as
> the raster (i.e., no transform should be occurring), the load time still
> requires several minutes. This is true whether or not I have enabled on the
> fly reprojection in the project options. In contrast, the same file takes
> several seconds to load in trunk. Perhaps there needs to be a CRS check on
> rasters to bypass whatever is happening to consume so many cpu cycles when
> transforms are unnecessary?

I cannot say if gdal warp is always slow or it could be speed up by
changing init params, I see however that the approximate reprojection
is necessary, so that will be the next step.

Radim