Hi,
I have roughly implemented approximate reprojection. It should work
for GDAL and GRASS, I have not tested WMS. Currently it is always
using approximation (even if error is too big).
Rendering with reprojection takes about 5 times more.  You can get
some info about times grepping debug output, e.g.: qgis rp.qgs 2>&1 |
egrep "(time|CPMatrix size)" | sed 's/.*cpp: //'

I have got for example for reprojected raster in raster providers branch:
89: (QgsRasterProjector) CPMatrix size: mCPRows = 5 mCPCols = 9
41: (readBlock) create projector time  (ms): 10
53: (readBlock) read not projected block time  (ms): 24
71: (readBlock) reproject block time  (ms): 1022
1287: (draw) raster draw time (ms): 1446
1287: (draw) raster draw time (ms): 10

the same raster not reprojected in raster providers branch:
1287: (draw) raster draw time (ms): 323

in trunk:
1830: (draw) raster draw time (ms): 689

It is strange that it is slower in trunk.

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 7:06 PM, John C. Tull <jct...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Comparing the load time of this raster when the project CRS is the same as
>> the raster (i.e., no transform should be occurring), the load time still
>> requires several minutes. This is true whether or not I have enabled on the
>> fly reprojection in the project options. In contrast, the same file takes
>> several seconds to load in trunk.

Are you talking about loading the raster first time or about
redrawing? Maybe statistics are not necessarily computed.

Radim