Did further testing. The problem is a power function of the number of layers.

QGIS 1.7 r15529M.
# layers        load time       quit time
40                      2.3s            1.6s
60                      3.6s            3.4 s
68                      4.8s                    5.3s
76                      6.2s                    8.9s
84                      7.9s                    19.6s
92                      10.9            36.7s
100                     14.1s           57.7s
108                     18.8s           82.2s

QGIS 1.6
# layers        load time       quit time
108                     3.6s            instantaneous

Both versions of QGIS using the same frameworks. Layer differences should not
impact the times. The layers are in sets of 4 with the latter layer datasets
added being very similar in the data they contain to the first layer datasets
added.

Royce