Hi
> I think this was a big step forward already, and wouldn't overload
> the release managers more at this stage.
>
> RC introduces its own problems, like version strings.
> Having snapshots could serve the "release candidate" purpose:
> just call community for testing it.
Thats a good idea .. we could prepare a snapshot out of release-1_7
(release-1_8) branch about 2 weeks before we would like to do the real
release .. with no/nearly no/full prepared for the next release (Just in
case that noone complains if the changelof is not finished or the
splashscreen shows a wrong version) and make that snapshot available to
some powerusers/volunteer testers for feedback..

Well ... very good suggestion .. I surely can live with that (beside the
fact that I am not able to prepare Windows setup exe). So I think all we
should do is decide who are the testers and if it is ok with the
packagers whose package we need to do the work..

kind regards
Werner