On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:49:36 +0100, Denis Rouzaud wrote:
Hi all,

 Thanks a lot for you quick replies.

 I'll try to resume.

 1. Insertion of linestrings.
 In my opinion, right-click to finish with adding new node is not
great. I like consistency, and have left to add, right to finish is
much more consistent. And one more right click is quicker than
canceling the last added point ;) Andreas: in the example you shown,
there is no one which used the same as qgis. But it might sounds like
a bad idea to change a software behavior?

well - as I said. I do not have strong feelings about it. I am not an operator, so I am not personally affected ;-) no - more seriously. Do you really think it would be that hard for your people to use the different behavior? At the beginning it will be strange - I agree - but I have the feeling that people get used to it quickly.

 2. Have to commit to see the newly added features.
 Yes this is really strange, it used to work, but since a few days
(don't remenber when) I have to commit changes.n (see video)

that sounds like a bug. I will try to replicate at later with the current trunk. I did not see this behavior before.

 3. Remove node.
 Ok, got it, thanks.

good

 4. Add node.
 Cannot have it working. A node is added but in the previous segment.
And I cannot move it. (see same video)

to add a node you double click on a line segment and than you can move it. Does this work?

 5. Having some experience with cad softwares, I must say I don't
think it's a great idea to have a single action (or icon) for adding,
deleting, moving nodes. It leads to a much more complex action. I.e.,
for adding a node: double clicking - selecting node - moving it
without releasing button - release button instead of clicking - moving
- clicking.
 I'll see with the drawers, but I am pretty sure they would like
single buttons.

well - but on the other hand you don't have to change tools all the time. I personally prefer the way QGIS does it because I can work with fewer tools. The path-tool in Inkscape and in Illustrator is a good example where one tool can actually handle all path shapes without having to change the tool. This is a big plus in my opinion. One can use keyboard modifiers and the different mouse buttons to change behavior of the path tool ...

But again - with touchpads - it is a different story ...

Andreas

Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 10A
8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)