On Aug 5, 2012, at 11:43 AM, Larry Shaffer <lar...@dakotacarto.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM, John C. Tull <jct...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 4, 2012, at 8:11 PM, Larry Shaffer <lar...@dakotacarto.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Note: Xcode.app now contains all dev directory structure, and you can
>>> use xcrun to work with it, but I preferred to install the command line
>>> tools. You will probably want to uninstall any previous XCode version
>>> first. I used the .dmg installers downloaded from my Apple developer
>>> account, instead of Mac App Store. Not sure if the command line tools
>>> (115 MB dl) can be installed, and work, without installing Xcode.app
>>> (1.8 GB dl), since I installed Xcode.app first.
>>
>> You can install the command line tools from the app store version of Xcode.
>> Open Xcode, then open Preferences and click on the 'Downloads' section at
>> the top. You will see Command Line Tools as an install option from there.
>
> Yes, I believe that was in the stackoverflow link I mentioned. I did
> further tests to see if the CL Tools could be used independent from
> Xcode.app (like it says on Apple's web site). However, there is no SDK
> for 10.7 or 10.8 with the Tools, only embedded in Xcode.app (3.3 GB
> installed on disk), and the Tools use those.
>
> I think Apple has really made a mess of things, by requiring Xcode.app
> and moving all dev structure inside of the app bundle - probably all
> in the name of 'convenience' for new devs.
>
> So, for now, the QGIS build notes for Mac should continue to recommend
> full install of Xcode.app, IMHO.

I agree, full Xcode install is required. I only wanted to point out that you
can do an App Store install of Xcode, then install the command line tools from
the preferences of the Xcode app. I think that is more streamlined than opening
a Dev account, etc. Of course, if you're building qgis from source, you should
be more advanced than the average user, so either way works fine.

Cheers,
John