Hi Antonio,

I think it is more about having consistency for the platform than anything
else. We want the user to find the application familiar. The death-knell of
many an OS X application on review sites is how non-Mac-like the application
feels. Users expect the menubar to exist and to provide a means of navigating
standard application operations.

Developers will provide their own customization in different formats. Microsoft
Office has their "ribbon" interface that provides "organized" drop-downs and
formatting elements outside of the menubar, but you are able to do most of the
same stuff by navigating the menus and options therein.
http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Office-for-Mac-ribbon-default-1024x614.png

I think we can achieve the customization desired while maintaining the HIG for
OSX.

Cheers,
John