Hi Trevor,

just guessing: Is your plugin applying the editingStarted()/editingStopped() signals? If not there are plugins around that do it and are known to slow down QGIS. So if it is not your plugin first thing would be to unload _all_ plugins and see if the problem persists. If not reload the plugins only one at a time to identify the one causing the problem.

Bernhard