Hi,

I was able to do my color replacements with gdal_calc.py. It works fast and efficient.

Here is my syntax:

gdal_calc.py -A image.tif --outfile=image_output.tif --calc="(A==249)*255+(A!=249)*A"

Syntax looks similar to the QGIS raster calculator - but as opposed to the QGIS raster calculator it actually works!

I will still continue to find out about SAGA. Maybe directly converting from TIFF to SAGA before processing files in SAGA.

I believe that the QGIS raster calculator would need some developer love - to make it more robust and easier to use ;-)

I am also pretty sure that the Processing integration of GRASS/SAGA does not work well with big files - at least on Windows and when TIFF files are used.

Thanks to all who helped!
Andreas