On 2016-05-04 11:56, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
On 2016-05-04 11:00, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
I tend towards Qt >= 5.7 - on Windows and Mac we control the
dependencies, so that should be ok anyway, on Linux we can say "if you
want a recent QGIS, get a recent distro". And by the time we actually
ship QGIS with a Qt5 dependency there should be a number of distros with
Qt 5.7.

This rules out backports for Debian stable, so I'm not in favour of this
option.

The next Debian stable release may support Qt 5.7, but packaging is not
on the horizon yet. Qt 5.5.1 is currently in testing/unstable (and
Ubuntu xenial) with 5.6 in experimental.

I'd like to keep maintaining backports for the most recent LTR because
that's in the interest of our users, if dependency requirements make
that impossible it's unfortunate but not the end of the world.

Wouldn't there be the possibility of shipping Qt, QScintilla and QWT in
/opt? I acknowledge that this is not the best solution but it could be a
temporary fix.

For the upstream QGIS packages this may be an option, for the official packages in the Debian archive it is not.

Kind Regards,

Bas