M.E.Dodd wrote:
I would like to open some large gridded met data files, produce means of the
values for each grid square (data for each square are given each year for a
number of years and I want a mean of all the years) and write the data out
again showing just the means per grid square.

I would look at other tools for doing calculations on multi-dimensional NetCDF files. I've used NCO in the past for this,[1] which can average a time dimension in a 3D grid to produce a 2D grid (which can be converted to any other raster format using GDAL). You can do much more with NCO utilities. However, NCO is not user-friendly, since it is command-line work, requires a lot of documentation reading to understand the usage, and is available for almost all operating systems except MS Windows.

[1] http://nco.sourceforge.net

-Mike