On 2010-01-15 03:23, M.E.Dodd wrote:
I have not tried this, will do (will also look at earlier suggestion of
combining them in Grass), however it will still be very slow if you have 50
raster tiles as I have, would have thought it a very obvious thing to want to
have all tiles treated the same easily.
For example the tiles are from a digital elevation model so I want to try
different max and min values to see which is most appropriate over the whole
area, its extremely laborious to go through keep changing every one of the 50
tiles again and again just to find the best compromise.

I generally make a mosaic or merge DEMs (or other continuous rastes) using the tools provided by the gdal-python package. E.g., in a shell (*nix or OSGeo4w):

gdal_merge -o bigDEM.tif 094*dem

where 094a.tif, 094b.tif, etc. are the input tiles (I use wildcards here for convenience of grouping the tiles), and bigDEM.tif is the output raster, which you can then open in any GIS program.

http://www.gdal.org/gdal_merge.html

-Mike