On 18/10/2010 10:15, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

Il 18/10/2010 10:02, Jürgen E. Fischer ha scritto:

Ok.  Two options.  I'd opt for 1.7.  Should we start a poll?
I would suggest: go for 1.7, and keep a legacy standalone with ECW support for
the
desperate addicts to that format.
How does it sound?
All the best.
-1
It's not a question of who's lucky and who is desperate. Every time the ECW /MrSid/GDAL licensing problems come up, there's a flurry of posts on the list asking "Program X has ECW support, why not QGIS?". Many users don't have a choice. We all realize that both compression formats are in wide-spread use by govt offices, aerial photo companies, etc. I consider support for ECW part of the core functionality of any GIS system today. If it's too complicated to maintain parallel installations of GDAL 1.6 and 1.7, then I'd prefer keeping 1.6 until ERDAS clarifies or loosens their licensing policy.

--
Regards,
Micha

--