Two things to keep in mind:

- When the option "Settings>Options>CRS>Coordinate reference system for new
layers" is set to "Use project CRS" or "Use default CRS...", any layers you add
which don't come with CRS information will _look in QGIS_ like they have the
same CRS... except that they won't all show up in the same place on the map.

- In at least some recent versions of QGIS (and perhaps depending on the render
caching setting or something), when you change the CRS of a layer the map is
not automatically refreshed.  You need to do something to force it to be
refreshed - zoom or pan slightly, or add a layer or something.  (And of course
the layers will stay in the same location if you do not have 'on the fly'
reprojection enabled in the project properties... which is different from
enabling it by default for new projects).

Alister