Brylie Oxley <brylie@...> writes:

> Hello,
> My name is Brylie Oxley. I am a student at Sierra College in Nevada
> City, CA. I would like to apply for the GSoC program.
>
> I have been studying GIS at Sierra College, where the courses focus on
> proprietary tools. For libre GIS tools to be viable options, we need
> high quality cartographic tools. This is where I see Inkscape as an
> EXCELLENT candidate.
>
> I would like to make an extension for QGIS and/or Inkscape that would
> enable us to send data from QGIS directly to Inkscape. It would also be
> nice to be able to have Inkscape leverage the QGIS API to import
> data/layers into a cartographic project.
>
> I am glad to get any feedback regarding users' experiences sharing data
> between these two programs. I would also like to know what some of the
> components are that I can leverage to create a bridging
> extension/improved cartographic interface for QGIS.
>
> Thank you for your time and consideration,
> Brylie Oxley

There is heavy work going on with GDAL PDF driver http://gdal.org/frmt_pdf.html
Mapserver can already make georeferenced PDF files like this with the trunk
version of GDAL http://latuviitta.org/documents/Lahti_geospat.pdf
Reading the geospatial info of that certain PDF needs TerraGo Toolbar which is
an add-on to Adobe Acrobat reader. Here is another PDF output example
http://latuviitta.org/documents/raitiovaunulinjat.pdf
It is made with OpenJUMP derivative SkyJUMP and it demostrates using vector
layers on to of a raster layer (tram lines in this case). User can toggle the
layer visibility at least with Adobe Acrobat Reader. I am not sure if GDAL can
do such layered output yet. However, I have a feeling that GDAL may soon be able
to support direct conversion of raster files with OGR vector file overlays into
layered and georeferenced PDF files. See recent PDF commits by Evan Rouault at
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/timeline

Perhaps that work will help you with the QGIS to Inkcape work flow. At least it
might be good to study what could be done by feeding GDAL from QGIS before
dublicating those functionalities into QGIS.

-Jukka Rahkonen-