On 19/03/12 09:04, G. Allegri wrote:
> I agree with Jukka. Working to a lower level of binding (through GDAL/OGR)
> would let other foss
> software leavarage the improvements. I don't know Inkscape very much, but
> I've tried to import
> the latter example from Jukka (the multilayer PDF) and it keeps the layers
> correctly. Working
> on the GDAL level is probably harder then doing the work on the Python level
> directly between
> Qgis and Inkscape, but I feel it would be far most used and useful to improve
> the GDAL PDF
> support...
>
> giovanni
>
> 2012/3/19 Jukka Rahkonen <jukka.rahko...@mmmtike.fi
> <mailto:jukka.rahko...@mmmtike.fi>>
>
> Brylie Oxley <brylie@...> writes:
>

>> Hello, My name is Brylie Oxley. I am a student at Sierra College in Nevada
>> City, CA. I would
>> like to apply for the GSoC program.
>>
>> I have been studying GIS at Sierra College, where the courses focus on
>> proprietary tools. For
>> libre GIS tools to be viable options, we need high quality cartographic
>> tools. This is where
>> I see Inkscape as an EXCELLENT candidate.
>>
>> I would like to make an extension for QGIS and/or Inkscape that would enable
>> us to send data
>> from QGIS directly to Inkscape. It would also be nice to be able to have
>> Inkscape leverage
>> the QGIS API to import data/layers into a cartographic project.
>>
>> I am glad to get any feedback regarding users' experiences sharing data
>> between these two
>> programs. I would also like to know what some of the components are that I
>> can leverage to
>> create a bridging extension/improved cartographic interface for QGIS.
>>
>> Thank you for your time and consideration, Brylie Oxley

I think that would be a good idea - essentially a mapcomposer on steroids.

What would be needed (just some ideas) is:

a) the possibility to send a map with selected layers and everything to
inkscape as an object this
could be done via gdal, but I *think* it might be easier to make this directly

b) implement the basic map related features (north arrow, scale, legend, ...)
in the same way

c) make sure that inkscape (for the map related elements) is *aware* of the
fact that it is a map,
i.e. if the map is rotated, the north arrow should rotate as well, scale
changes, ...)

I don't think the pdf driver from gdal offers the flexibility needed (but I
must admit I don't
know it).

Cheers,

Rainer

> There is heavy work going on with GDAL PDF driver
> http://gdal.org/frmt_pdf.html Mapserver can
> already make georeferenced PDF files like this with the trunk version of GDAL
> http://latuviitta.org/documents/Lahti_geospat.pdf Reading the geospatial info
> of that certain
> PDF needs TerraGo Toolbar which is an add-on to Adobe Acrobat reader. Here is
> another PDF
> output example http://latuviitta.org/documents/raitiovaunulinjat.pdf It is
> made with OpenJUMP
> derivative SkyJUMP and it demostrates using vector layers on to of a raster
> layer (tram lines
> in this case). User can toggle the layer visibility at least with Adobe
> Acrobat Reader. I am
> not sure if GDAL can do such layered output yet. However, I have a feeling
> that GDAL may soon
> be able to support direct conversion of raster files with OGR vector file
> overlays into layered
> and georeferenced PDF files. See recent PDF commits by Evan Rouault at
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/timeline

> Perhaps that work will help you with the QGIS to Inkcape work flow. At least
> it might be good
> to study what could be done by feeding GDAL from QGIS before dublicating
> those functionalities
> into QGIS.
>

> -Jukka Rahkonen-

- --