This is because something changed in ArcGIS >= 10.x on how they apply the
BC Albers projection (EPSG:3005).

Those datasets now have to be opened in ArcGIS and the projection has to be
"Defined" as BC Albers, because it's using PCS_Albers (projection name),
gdal sees this as a "custom projection" so it won't list any layers.

This is annoying, because BC Albers and PCS_Albers, besides the difference
in name, have the exact same parameters.

I've tried to contact the GeoBC folks when this came up, but didn't get a
response. Simply asking them to please assign the BC Albers projection to
the DRA and the FWA so that we can access it using the FileGDB API via GDAL
(or QGIS!).

I posted in the ArcGIS forums to discover this [0].

[0]
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/100486-Is-BC_Albers-being-incorrectly-identified-as-PCS_Albers-It-s-corrupting-my-data
.