On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 08:48:34AM +0200, Bernhard Ströbl wrote:
> Am 01.09.2015 um 17:49 schrieb Matthias Kuhn:

> >2. If there are tables without a PK open a second modal dialog with an
> >explanation of the problem and offer to select a pk from a combobox.
>
> I hope you mean "relation" not table, a table should always have a
> PK.

It's not mandatory for a table to have a PK.
I guess by "tables without a PK" he means table for which no PRIMARY
KEY constraint is explicitly defined (should an UNIQUE key be
considered equally valid?).

> >3. Optional: Add a button "search suitable pk" which looks for a
> >suitable unique column.
>
> yes, why not, although the label should read something like "analyze
> relation for use in QGIS" or similar (would include detection of
> geometry type and crs if needed) because if a user knows what a PK
> is, he will most probably know which field to use anyways :-)

+1, if a full scan has to be performed, it'd be better to gather
as much information as possible from it.

> >4. Optional: Add a selection "read-only" to the combobox and do some
> >row_number() or other black magic and warn the user with a big red
> >dialog that he's about to do something very dangerous, unreliable and
> >that his warranty is now very void.
>
> -1 either load the thing properly and if that is not possible one
> has to change the view definition to make it compatible with QGIS if
> it is supposed to be used there. An average user would probably not
> understand what he accepts and complain about bad perfomrance or not
> being able to edit the layer later on. Warning messages are regarded
> as an annoyance to be accepted not to be read and understood :-)

Agreed, better refuse to load with a clear error message than

--strk;