Hi Richard,

Am 18.07.2016, 10:13 Uhr, schrieb Richard Duivenvoorde
<rdmaili...@duif.net>:

On 17-07-16 22:42, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
Hi Angelos,
thanx a lot for the hint. It works!

This is now indeed the third variation of a working setup in a row.
We already had to enable three repositories, then two, and now it's only
one. Unfortunately the instructions on the download page never manage to
reflect those changes.

I think they do, (or at least we try) but for Ubuntu/Debian there are
just a lot of possible options, and trying to describe that clearly [0]
apparently does not make it really easier, just because of all the
possible options and/or combinations.

The download page for debian/ubuntu reflects the coders motto: Minimize the code! But people who are not used to read code have really difficulties getting the picture there.

1. I am confident, that the biggest part of Ubuntu users would like to have a release with the same features as they have if using the installer on Windows. The offered release (http://qgis.org/debian) does not do this. This is not mentioned anywhere that it lacks features. People have to find out by themselves.

2. "Release with ubuntugis dependencies" is as cryptic as it can be. But it is simply the version most people expect to receive. A full sentence of what the differences between the repositories are would not let the page explode. Maybe mention that MrSID and ECW is not supported in contrary to Windows due to legal issues (and that you have to compile stuff to get it)

3. The instructions to add the ubuntugis functions are outdated for several releases already. I remember it worked with the ubuntugis-repository plus the ppa. The next version, I had to add as well the debian-repository. The next time, I had to remove debian again. Now it seems it works with the ubuntugis repository only, and no ppa.

If you do not give those explanations, where should they come from then?
Have mercy and simply add more text. Form follows function. If the function breaks the form of the page, then maybe change the design.

I love QGIS and appreciate all your work!
Bernd

If somebody comes up with a better text, please do. Maybe split up
Ubuntu and Debian in two different blocks?

And as usual: not working (for you?) please provide a full better
working alternative :-) we are happy to add information that would make
it more clear.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

[0] http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu