Hi Grant,

not sure if this is what you want, but there's the ftools plugin:
http://docs.qgis.org/2.14/en/docs/user_manual/plugins/plugins_ftools.html

with it come the "research tools" with which you can define vector grids
(not rotated though afaict):
"Vector grid - Generate a line or polygon grid based on user-specified grid
spacing."

all the best,

Chris