Hi Sarah,

I've used Maperitive (http://maperitive.net/) in similar situations to download OpenStreetMap map tiles and store them in a local MBTiles database, from where QGIS can load them very quickly!

Rough steps are:

1. Decide on your web mapping
2. Set the bounds using UI, or running this command (edit min/max Lat/Lon):

    set-geo-bounds 96.1,19.2,97.7,22.4

3. Export to MBTiles (edit min/max zoom and path):

    generate-mbtiles minzoom=5 maxzoom=14
file="C:/Projects/Test/Southampton.mbtiles"

4. Load the MBTiles file into QGIS!

This still requires an internet connection to download the data, but the process can be left running overnight etc.

Cheers,

Andy