Hi Patrick, thanks for the quick reply.

I am not sure how 'far' Linux mint is from Ubuntu. Using either of the
Ubuntu-stable or Ubuntugis-unstable repos, I successfully installed QGIS in
one single effort. I would expect the same to happen with a plain make,
since I use the latest release (so, your second comment means that I
shouldn't have any issues?).

If I use an Ubuntu box (or VM) and I manage to build QGIS with Oracle
support, will I be able to transfer this installation to my box (mint)?
Using a dedicated Ubuntu VM to run QGIS is not really an option. I have a
mint box with 32GB RAM and already a Windows VM in it (necessary for some
tools I use). If all else fail, I'll use OSGEO4W QGIS in windows - and hate
myself everyday for that.

Regards
Greg