Hi,

I've been spending some time trying to start QGIS using an .ini file located
somewhere other than in the Windows default user location. I tried both
--globalsettingsfile and --customizationfile, and although I can get some
settings (eg formatLayerName=false) to read from the former, it seems that
most settings (e.g. locale) are read from and written to the QGIS3.ini file
in profiles. Interestingly if I create a new profile, it uses settings from
the qgis_global_settings.ini  file I specified in the command line, but the
new profile settings are created in the profile folder.

However it looks as though I can use the --profiles-path param to store
details of all profiles whereever I want, and that this is probably the way
to go in running QGIS in a way which is independent of writing to the user's
default Windows folder, and where the startup settings can likewise be held
in a location independent of the user.

Has anyone used this, and have I got this right? I'm using 3.0.3 by the way.

many thanks
Ant