On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 5:03 PM, Ant Scott <antony.sc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been spending some time trying to start QGIS using an .ini file
> located
> somewhere other than in the Windows default user location. I tried both
> --globalsettingsfile and --customizationfile, and although I can get some
> settings (eg formatLayerName=false) to read from the former, it seems that
> most settings (e.g. locale) are read from and written to the QGIS3.ini file
> in profiles. Interestingly if I create a new profile, it uses settings from
> the qgis_global_settings.ini  file I specified in the command line, but the
> new profile settings are created in the profile folder.
>
> However it looks as though I can use the --profiles-path param to store
> details of all profiles whereever I want, and that this is probably the way
> to go in running QGIS in a way which is independent of writing to the
> user's
> default Windows folder, and where the startup settings can likewise be held
> in a location independent of the user.
>
> Has anyone used this, and have I got this right? I'm using 3.0.3 by the
> way.
>
> many thanks
> Ant

Hi,

please notice that the global settings file is read-only and its only
purpose it to provide (or override) default values for the settings.

Once a particular setting has been saved by the user (or by the application
or by a plugin) then it has a value and the default value is never used
again.

The idea behind global settings is that we didn't want to store default
values inline in C++ code (that would imply to rebuild the whole
application just to fix a default value) and we wanted a way to override
default values for the users by providing a (possibly customised) default
settings file.

Hope this helps.

--
Alessandro Pasotti