Ert:

With a jpg or png file, the coordinate data are stored in the world file (a simple text file with the pixel x gsd , rotation,pixel y gsd, x coordinate, top left, y coordinate top left - see sample below).  For a pdf, the coordinate data is stored within the pdf and you would have to check the geo-pdf specs to see where they are stored.  If you write a geotiff, the coordinates will be contained withing the file header.

Sample tiff world file (*.tfw)

0.0250000000
0.000000
0.000000