Thanks for you comment, however I did not see a reference to the issue of data loss when changing table structure (dropping columns etc).

On 3/02/21 11:36 am, Nyall Dawson wrote:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 at 12:12, Patrick Dunford <enzedrailm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I recall going back someway we were sold this Geopackage idea being
implemented into Qgis because it was going to be so much better than
shape files that everyone has been using up to now. I bought into these
ideas by converting shape files in most of my Qgis projects into
Geopackage files.

However there appear to be some serious bugs in Qgis' implementation of
Geopackages as a file based system, and since SQlite has an impeccable
reputation, it is a reasonable conclusion that there must be significant
uncorrected bugs in the Qgis code that deals with file based Geopackages.

Please have a read over the threads at
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2020-March/060584.html
and  https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2020-May/061162.html

All your issues were discussed at length in those threads -- so
there's lots of background info there. Suffice to say, as you've
realised, many of the issues are still outstanding and yes, geopackage
can be a pain (a nightmare?) to use for some workflows.

Nyall