"ldd /path/to/bin/qgis | grep gdal" will show you where the qgis binary links GDAL from

To convince an existing QGIS build to run against another libgdal, you may (ab)use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and you probably need to create symlinks so that QGIS finds the right libgdal.X.Y that it expects

Safer way is to build your own QGIS using cmake -DGDAL_CONFIG:FILEPATH=/path/to/your/bin/gdal-config