> Micha Silver wrote:
>> In some early work I noticed on windows, displaying maps from a WMS
>> server (mapserver 4.10.2) that the map image doesn't appear until I "do
>> something".

A couple more observations to help nail the problem.  It seems one issue
has to do with HHTP Exceptions not being handled properly.  Zooming in
to one WMS layers (massgis:GISDATA.IMG_COQ2005 at
http://giswebservices.massgis.state.ma.us/geoserver/wms) I managed to go
down to the level I wanted a few times, but most of the time zooming in
would trigger a timeout (> 120 s, can't remember exact message), then a
HTTP Exception dialog would pop, then the "QGIS has encountered an
error" death window.  I meant to test with uDIG, but it ran for 20
minutes without rendering an image, but at least I could see the little
green progress bar showing it was working.  I stopped it, so I'll never
know if it would have crashed in the end or if it was standard Java
waiting times ;-)

A (related ?) point : I experienced problems in overlaying vector and
raster data.  My first try was NASA global_mosaic and Tiger roads data
(from the MassGIS WMS server).  Roads were off.  Then I figured I'd try
MassGIS raster data (mentioned at the top of this message) and I had
that offset too.  Ticking the project on the fly option in the
preferences didn't seem to do much.

Finally, I wonder if it would be possible to cache the GetCapabilities
response to a local file so the list of available layers pops up
directly after one adds a WMS layer (in the case a layer was added
beforehand, of course).  In the case of the MassGIS WMS server it's
close to 1,5 MB of data upon every connexion.  On a slow connection,
that may be a real issue.

HTH,

Yves Moisan