I'm a total newbie to GIS in general and QGIS in particular. The
omnipresent jargon in the User Guide is scary, and the learning curve is
steep for me. Just opening/importing a text data file is not even a
standard feature! (I use OSX 10.4.10.)
My task is to overlay a color-coded gridded map of atmospheric satellite
data on a flat, 2D, lat x long contour of continents. This is the kind
of standard stuff for NASA or NOAA people, although they probably do it
in IDL. The data is in text format, at 0.5deg intervals in both lat and
long.
How should I proceed to import it correctly and have the data pixels
color-coded?
Where can I get files of continent contours in flat lat x long projection?

Thanks for any help!