Hi

Look in the plugins menu or QGIS, there is a delimited text importer:

Plugins -> Delimited Text -> Add Delimited Text Layer

Once you have imported your data you may want to right click on its
legend entry and save it out as a shape file (commonly use GIS format)
for easier loading in future (you can then load itt using the 'Add
Vector Layer' icon).

For some free country boundary data you can look here:

http://www.cipotato.org/diva/data/MoreData.htm

Best regards

Tim

2007/11/22, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I'm a total newbie to GIS in general and QGIS in particular. The
> omnipresent jargon in the User Guide is scary, and the learning curve is
> steep for me. Just opening/importing a text data file is not even a
> standard feature! (I use OSX 10.4.10.)
> My task is to overlay a color-coded gridded map of atmospheric satellite
> data on a flat, 2D, lat x long contour of continents. This is the kind
> of standard stuff for NASA or NOAA people, although they probably do it
> in IDL. The data is in text format, at 0.5deg intervals in both lat and
> long.
> How should I proceed to import it correctly and have the data pixels
> color-coded?
> Where can I get files of continent contours in flat lat x long projection?
>
> Thanks for any help!

Tim Sutton
openModeller Desktop Developer
niche modelling tool