On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 01:22:19AM +0200, Thierry Godefroy wrote:

> Hi !
>
> In an attempt to bring more pre-compiled packages for the ShoeString
> distribution, I tried to compile the latest Linux kernel (with the
> crypto API patch and the SuperMount patch).

I was using loop-AES with additional ciphers which worked reliably
for the last few months.
What is the advantage of SuperMount over autofs?

> Alas, the compiler stops
> with an internat error; I tried twice, to check it was not due to
> a corrupted memory or processor overheating error (unlikely as my
> 060 is quite cool, equiped as it is with a heatsink+fan). I assume
> it's a gcc bug... Did anyone else encountered it ?  Did anyone
> compiled a newer gcc version (Richard, perhaps ? :-)

it is a compiler bug, the new ide core included since 2.4.21-rc6
triggers it and I didn't succeed to fix it in gcc-3.2.
I am currently testing gcc-3.3.1.

The gcc in ShoeString is not very good anyway. I have compiled gcc-3.2
and glibc-2.2.x (as well as 2/3 of RH 8.0) which appeared to work remarkably
well (with patches) but something got terribly screwed up just before
I could made a release - the compiler no longer bootstrapped :(

I can mail you a CD with many new packages which would be useful
for development purposes only, I can't spend any time to create
update or installation routines when a few essential packages are
broken (gnome-2.x) or have strange quirks (rpm-4.x)

Anyway even 3.2 has this problem so I am currently testing gcc-3.3.1.

Richard