On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:55:50 +0200, Richard Zidlicky wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 01:22:19AM +0200, Thierry Godefroy wrote:
> >
> > Hi !
> >
> > In an attempt to bring more pre-compiled packages for the ShoeString
> > distribution, I tried to compile the latest Linux kernel (with the
> > crypto API patch and the SuperMount patch).
>
> I was using loop-AES with additional ciphers which worked reliably
> for the last few months.

I'm using the full crypto-API (with all the ciphers; AES being a rather
weaker one than Serpent, for example...).

> What is the advantage of SuperMount over autofs?

It's 100% automatic, doesn't need for any demon, and it doesn't hog the
processor/drives by checking every few seconds that a new medium was
inserted... As soon as an access is requested to a supermounted medium,
then a check for changed/absent medium is made transparently for the user.
It's the standard 'automounter' for Mandrake and I just love it. :-)

> > Alas, the compiler stops
> > with an internat error; I tried twice, to check it was not due to
> > a corrupted memory or processor overheating error (unlikely as my
> > 060 is quite cool, equiped as it is with a heatsink+fan). I assume
> > it's a gcc bug... Did anyone else encountered it ?  Did anyone
> > compiled a newer gcc version (Richard, perhaps ? :-)
>
> it is a compiler bug, the new ide core included since 2.4.21-rc6
> triggers it and I didn't succeed to fix it in gcc-3.2.

Hmm... Strange... Mandrake's patched version of gcc v3.2.2 doesn't
got this problem on i586 Linux... Perhaps would it be worth rebuilding
the Mandrake gcc package for Linux-Q60 ?

> I am currently testing gcc-3.3.1.
>
> The gcc in ShoeString is not very good anyway. I have compiled gcc-3.2
> and glibc-2.2.x (as well as 2/3 of RH 8.0) which appeared to work
> remarkably well (with patches) but something got terribly screwed up
> just before I could made a release - the compiler no longer
> bootstrapped :(

Eeeps... ;-(

> I can mail you a CD with many new packages

If you got a file server (ftp, sftp, web) where to get them, I'd prefer
that way (faster now that I got an ADSL link ;-)...

> which would be useful for development purposes only, I can't spend
> any time to create update or installation routines when a few essential
> packages are broken (gnome-2.x) or have strange quirks (rpm-4.x)

Gnome2 is a real nightmare and it sucks big time !!!  Man, was I pissed
off when I installed Mandrake v9.1 to update my good ol' Mdk 7.2 on my
PCs...  This stupid new Gnome is not only utterly broken, but it's a
Hell to configure (they made the configuration 'simpler' by removing
most of the options: the net result is that you can't get it to work
your own way. If the default behaviour is fine with you then it's
alright, else, you can spend hours trying to figure out what to do
to obtain what you want !). Plus it eats 24Mb more memory than Cnome
1.2 on my PCs and is utterly slowwwwww: it's definitely a no-no for a
Q60, forget it altogether and stick with Gnome v1.4... or better, use
a lighter, standalone WM, like Icewm (v1.0.9 available on my website),
Blackbox or the like...

I never had problems with rpm 4.0 on Mandrake, but they pretty much
changed everything compared to rpm v3... Even the databases are
incompatible...  Who said "upward compatibility" ?  It looks like
this concept was lost and forgotten a couple of years ago already...
:-(

Thierry ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).