>Thanks for your reply. It's given us a clear idea of your situation,
>although I shall have to read it several times to get the complete
picture.
>(I have already made a hard copy.)
>I think we can now all look at the whole business far more calmly.
>
>One final point. Do you think you will be able to make it to QL2004? I
>would love to give you a slot to talk about your work.

Yes, I should be there - I am certainly planning to be.

One thing I forgot to add: there is one small project going on at the
moment.
There is a number of half-built Auroras that I have here (about 25), which
will be completed, and sold off (hopefully) at very reasonable prices,
mainly as a fund-riser for new projects.
These last Auroras will also be a sort of 'limited special editions',
slightly upgraded with respect to the original Aurora. I should be
finishing the experimental phase on this by the end of the month.
These boards will come with the full shrouded IDC connectors (so no
possibility of plugging stuff the wrong way), including the 'keyboard'
connector, turned pin sockets for the ROM and IPC, and, a half megabyte
Flash ROM in the ROM socket. The idea was to make it possible to boot
directly into SMSQ/E but the way the Flash is interfaced is such that one
could have any boot operating system in it, initially the boards will
probably come with Minerva, now that it is PD. The Flash ROM is of course
in-system programmable for software updates or upgrades, but it needs to be
initially programmed on a programmer - eventually, it should be possible to
make a 'boot loader' of sorts that would allow programming of the Flash
with the OS(s) of choice, this is all down to software support (though not
a lot of it).
There will also be an option to activate 32 additional lines of pixels in
the 16 and 256 color mode, if the last 16k of the IO area on SGC can be
freed up (usually this is where you would put Qubide if the ROM slot is to
be used, but since SuperIDE uses a mechanism where no IO addresses are used
at all, it is likely to be free) - this requires a minor change in the
color drivers. The maximum resolutions would therefore be 1024x512 in 16
colors, and a rather odd 512x512 in 256 colors. Not extremely usefull,
since we do not have a 16 color driver (yet?) but the capability was
actually there from the start.
The boards also come already modified for GoldFire (regular Auroras need
removal of one component, which is trivial, it's not fitted on these
specials).