In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike MacNamara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

Hi Jon,
Well, for some weeks a lot of email leaving here has been undelivered. In
fact for a bit the servers would receive on all addresses except freeserve
ones. And would only send on freeserve ones, except for 'bursts of activity'
in the early hours. At first we put this down to the masses of spam coming
through the systems.  However we took it up with freeserve, who inspected
our connections with them, said there was 'nothing wrong, but would send us
an email', it arrived instantly, and all worked for a few days. Then it
started all over again, this time we took it up with uk2, who host our
domains, most of which are VISP (virtual internet service providers), and
run their own emailing, etc. After extensive probes and checks, it appeared
that Freeserve, AOL,, Wanadoo and others have blocking systems that block
just about everything that goes through the SMTP port 25 with POP3. Our
simple answer to this was to change the domains to another SMTP port ( the
number of which I can't give here), which is not affected by ISP actions.
Result much faster emails, no lost email, no blocking. No problems..

OK if you have the level of access to be able to do that. Which has obviously solved the problem.

I know that AOL in early 2004 put in a spam blocking system at the ISP before it reaches the user. Which has been quite effective ( although a few still inevitable get through ).

Maybe your email to the list was being treated as 'spam' ?

--
Malcolm Cadman