----- Original Message -----
From: "Roy wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [ql-users] how to get QL2K

> >No slight to Marcel, but QPC2 is commercial and costs $$.  UQLX is
> >free.  When it comes to computers I always try for the cheaper route,
> >esp. with software.  Hence I prefer MicroEmacs over QD, etc.
> >
> >Tim Swenson
> In some ways this is the reason that so many of the more commercial and
> innovative programmers left the QL scene when they did. In my
> conversations with the author of MasterSpy the reason he quit was that
> he had few sales. The same is true of the QLiberator team and Fred
> Toussi of Text 87 fame.
>
> I know we have this free versus commercial software from time to time
> here but it was a major factor in the demise of good commercial software
> for the QL. Unfortunately good free software has not filled that gap and
> most of those providing that have also upped sticks and left.
> --

A slightly late contribution to this debate.

Firstly, Text87 could have done far more to improve their sales. £80 plus
£25 - £30 for an essential printer driver for a piece of QL software 10
years old is an idiot price. Fred Toussi could have learnt from the PC
(printer) world. Give the word processor away for a nominal price and make
your money out of printer drivers and font utilities.

Secondly, in the last few years, freeware has been far superior to
commercial software. Think of the utilities for using the GD2 colours.

Thirdly, isn't it time to start facing the realities of the QL community? Do
we really need traders any more? They will all vanish anyway within 2 years.
Shouldn't we plan for a smaller, but more technically expert QL community
that is largely internet based?

Geoff Wicks

PS I was once told by a tutor on a training course, "Your hallmark is
constructive subversion".