----- Original Message -----
From: "Wolfgang Uhlig"
Subject: [ql-users] QL 2004 Eindhoven

<snip>

> There was only one disappointment as to me: it was too short ;)
>
> Let's look forward to another show of this quality, perhaps next year?
> I hope so.

If there is a QL2005, then this time it is the turn of the UK. On my way
back from QL2004 I did a lot of thinking about this and see it as a highly
viable option provided Quanta is given a good kick up the backside.

Basically I would envisage that we would do the same as at QL2004 by
splitting the logistics of the show (hall, equipment and catering) from the
presentation (publicity and programme). In the UK we might just need a third
arm for the "ladies" programme.

Quanta would have to accept responsibility for the logistics and financing.
I would envisage either a hotel with catering or a hall such as the Somerset
Hall in Portishead with self-catering. They would also have to arrange for
such things as beamer, screen and internet connection.

I have learnt a lot from QL2004 and would be quite happy to take on the
presentation side of things. This is subject to one condition, namely I
require 6 to 9 months notice of the date and venue of the show. In practice
this would mean the show would have to be in Autumn 2005 and that the date
and venue known by the Quanta 2005 AGM.

The activity programme could very similar to QL2004, although I would not
expect all the 2004 presenters to repeat their performance. Given the
different profile of the average UK from the average continental QL-user we
would probably have to aim for a more populist and slightly less technical
activity programme. It would be nice to have some hardware demonstrations as
a way of encouraging Quanta to think about a possible role in future
hardware development.

I am sorry to disappoint everyone who wanted QL2004 to go on for ever, but I
tend to be in favour of "short and sweet". I would rather  you go home
frustrated through the lack of time than frustrated through boredom. That
doesn't mean to say there couldn't be a dinner the night before or a social
activity the day before or after.

Now that kick up the backside! We have to be realistic. Quanta has talked
about QL2004/2005 for about 18 months now. Last year I felt let down when
nothing had been done by Byfleet. This year Byfleet is only six weeks away
and I feel even more let down.

Let's be realistic. There is little evidence that the Quanta committee will
do anything to organise QL2005 unless the members demand it. What we need is
a mass lobby. Every Quanta member on this list who wants to see a QL2005
should now email every member of the Quanta committee before the Byfleet
show. And encourage your fellow members who are not on the list to do it as
well.

The email addresses of the Quanta Committee are:

 John Mason - chairman @ quanta.org.uk
John Southern - secretary @ quanta.org.uk
John Gilpin - treasurer @ quanta.org.uk
Roy Brereton - editor @ quanta.org.uk
John Gregory - software @ quanta.org.uk
Geoff Wicks - gwicks @ beeb.net

Please note these are their "official" emails and not their personal ones
and therefore there can be no complaints of harassment. Also please remember
that as a member of the Quanta committee I should also receive your email.
Finally don't think you can give your support by a message on this list.
Only two members of the Quanta committee subscribe to this list, two have
never subscribed, two have formerly subscribed but found it rubbish (with
good reason).

Geoff