In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Dave P wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Tarquin Mills wrote:
>
> >   If it was a portable at reasonable price people would buy it,
> > people would buy the Platinum card (Quanta may fund it if there is
> > a business plan). I am looking into making a bid to the national
> > lottery to afford the (portable) cases, other minority platform and
> > small manufacturers could share costs. However once there is a case a
> > QL will be needed to go in it.
>
> When you say portable do you mean a laptop or PDA or something complete
> and self-contained, or a desktop that is self-contained, not made of
> thousands of bits held together with string and shaped like the
> International Space Station?

A true laptop, my MinisQ60 (which not as bad as the ISS) is stage one.

> To develop a board for a laptop is an interesting proposition. It's about
> the same as the challenge of developing a board for a PC, but with
> additional power challenges.

The QL uses such minimal power that unless we are using Coldfire this
can be ignored.

> If a QL-replacement board with SVGA output was made in a standard
> form-factor and the same schematic was also laid out for a common
> taiwanese laptop case, this could technically work.
>
> The likely route would be to buy a stack of itentical budget laptops, and
> use the existing PSU/battery, HD, and CD/DVD mechanism, and just replace
> the motherboard. This would be cheaper than designing/buying all those
> items separately.

This is an interesting idea.

> Would people be willing to pay a $400-$600 premium for a laptop? That has
> 1/10th the performance of if you'd left it alone and just installed QPC?

Yes, if they were serious, while the laptop would be much faster than
1/10th, in fact it will be faster than QPC, while if it uses Coldfire
that will bring it into the next league. Do not forget the sales on
other platforms.

--
                       Tarquin Mills

ACCUS (Anglia Classic Computer Users Society)
http://www.speccyverse.me.uk/comp/accus/