On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 14:18:40 -0000, Dilwyn Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I honestly don't believe this is useable on QPC2.

It starts off overwriting its own files as you unzip them because the path names are stored too long. Classic example of an author supplying a problem for you to use. All well and good if you are prepared to manually rename the directories, which I am not prepared to do. Seems the minimum files you need aren't affected, so can be gathered into one directory to run it.

Hmm - I will have a look at this this afternoon - though I cannot try it as I do not have a beta QPC2..

I've put the files into a directory, pointed PROG_USE and DATA_USE at them, set environment variables as per the examples of Duncan Neithercut and so on (the JRH text files are totally unixy and meaningless so I refuse to read them as even readme_qdos means little.

This is the problem with all the programs ported from Unix - no-one bothers to look at the documentation and see if it would make any sense to QL users. Guess that's why Linux is free but you pay so much to purchase a copy and get support...

the line:
157 SETENV "www_home=http\homepages.tesco.net/dilwyn.jones/index.html"

is interesting - you're not telling me Lynx expects a web addres in this format rather than
http://homepages.tesco.net/dilwyn.jones/index.html

which is the standard convention....

I connected to my ISP from Windows, then ran the boot program for Lynx and all that happens is a brief flash of a Lynx screen and nothing, disappears without error or anything.

Dilwyn - if you get it figured out, then maybe you will be kind enough to sort the files out into a distribution - I think Lynx is under the open source, so we could actually provide this version on disk together with charges for support - how much Â50 ??!!

Just what is happening? What's being done wrong here? Using Lynx 282, latest on JRH's website. The lynx_cfg and lynxrc files are meaningless garbage to me, so I haven't touched those. Running in 640x480 QL colours mode 4 with the QPC2 v3.30 beta 3 hotfix.

Hmm seeing as Dilwyn has mentioned running Lynx from within QPC2 - does Marcel want to actually let us poor mortals who do not have the beta version what v3.30 is going to contain - I guess the ability to access the internet :-)

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

http://www.rwapservices.co.uk/