What a sad story!

One, probably stupid, question: Do you need drivers at all?
Isn't the camera recognized (as a removable drive) as is?

AFAIK it depends upon the OS. Win 98 will need drivers. XP might need them, Win 2000 won't. That's my experience with usb cameras and memory sticks. XP support for USB seems to be PC specific. Some give no problems, others (e.g. my Father's, and anything owned by Dilwyn, it would appear) fail to install properly. You could always dual boot the machine to Linux. Under Mandrake it will should recognise the cam as a removable drive, but you might need to manually modify the /etc/fstab file.

If its a USB web-cam you probably need the drivers for any O/S.
It's not. But I've heard from one other person with exactly the same problem as me with this, it seems there is a fault on the CD they distribute with it but they won't admit to it. It works on some PCs and not on others. There's a "memory card" driver (which can be provided by Windows XP and that works on both Win98SE and WinXP) and the camera-specific driver which is either missing from the CD or at least fails to install on some systems.

Refund it is then.