OK, here is what I am doing for now thanks to Marcel's backdoor method :)

1) covert the original image format to PNG and using Marcel's program (Windows) to convert it to a QL sprite)
2) make sure Dilwyn's Snatch 4 is running
3) load the sprite into memory
nr = RESPR(sprite_file_size)
LBYTES(sprite_file_name, nr)
4) change window #1 to fill the full screen
5) draw the sprite in window #1
WPSRT 0,0,nr
6) capture the sprite with the shortcut key that Snatch 4 uses

And then I have the final _scr image where I told Snatch 4 to put it

Now, this raises the question, why do we not have a native QL program that can convert one of the major image formats to a _scr image directly? I found tons of stuff that converts between formats plus from _SCR to others. The only one I found reference to was called BMP2SCR but I could not find a copy any where on the net.

Jim