Jérôme Grimbert wrote:
> We have two kind of filesystem: the floppy and the harddisk.
> Maintaining floppy compatibility is essential.

Floppies don't need such long paths anyway.

> If we could store the EXEC information on DOS format, things would be
> simple, and I would push for the DOS format, not because it is DOS, but
> because it is so wide spread.

Just an unrelated note to the DOS long-filename-hack: They had to do
this because a single file name was limited to only 8 characters. We
have 36 characters to work with, which is much less of a burden. So I
don't see the need for something similar.

> BUT, the harddisk does not need to be exchanged with another system.
> Therefore, we can do as we want on a harddisk partition.

Quite right.

> Correct. The filename is stored at the beginning of the file itself, in
> the first sector given by the index.

Actually that is only true for Microdrives. Not sure about Floppy, but
definitely not QLWA drives. The header space is there but empty.

> That why I always think that a full pathname (device included) can be
> longer that 41 char: win1_+36 char = 41, but n1_dev1_+36 is already bigger!

Because n is really a character device. The physical path that will
get accesses by the server is still only 41 characters.

Marcel