> Surely the trick is to check whether the directory is type 5. If so treat it
> like a new directory and file naming. If not treat it like a type 255
> directory.
> Would you not get compatability then?
In case this helps, here's a list of file type numbers used already, including
some that were used by PROGS for their Painter graphics programs.

$05    byte      file type
 (decimal 5)     0=a data file or SuperBASIC program
                 1=an executable file
                 2=SROFF relocatable object file
                 255=directory
                 3=Thor directory
                 4=font file in 'The Painter'
                 5=pattern file in The Painter
                 6=4 colour mode compressed picture in The Painter
                 11=8 colour mode compressed picture in The Painter

These are the file type numbers that I am aware of, if anyone knows of any
other type numbers which have been used in the past (even if obsolete), I'd
gladly add them to the list on my manuals&documentation page.