The repairman who fixed it under warranty said the on-board
microcontroller had a faulty EPROM, and that he would have to get a
replacement. I offered, and he accepted, for me to download the image, and
flash a 27512 I happened to have laying around. This gave me opportunities
for abuse... (and saved him a trip ;)

My washer now freaks the missus out by saying "Hi Jimi" instead of "Door
Open" on the display when she opens the lid (which she's not likely to see
as the lid obscures the LCD, but she noticed after a couple of months.
She's convinced Sears are tracking her laundry habits ;)

Dave
He he, I did something similar to my colleague's PC where I patched the configuration text in the sign-on of one of our Removals programs. Unfortunately, he mentioned it in front of the boss and I had to rather quickly patch it back to how it was.

The beauty of having QPC2 to hand, it was possible to find the text, load it into S-Edit in binary mode, overwrite the text with Welsh equivalent (my colleague is not a Welsh speaker) and save it back out again without too much fear of damaging anything as long as I didn't change any lengths in the file. The configuration was probably a text file but I didn't want to risk it.

For a couple of days he couldn't figure out why he was entering stuff in English and it came out in Welsh the following day when he signed back in. I think it's called Personalising Dave. Or in my colleague's case, revenge.