Hi Phoebus,

Just a thanks to you for your excellent first article on internet access for the QL in QL Today magazine - Volume 9, Issue 6, March/April 2005.

You tempted me in to doing the downloads of the software ported from UNIX by Jonathan Hudson :

QL-Lynx, QL-FTP, QPOP3 and QDOS Emailer.

All available at : http://www.daria.co.uk

With your instructions, lynx worked first time ! ... and nice to see it making use of the full screen with SMSQ/E and QPC.

I had previously had it working in an earlier version in a QDOS window of 512x256.

I hope to find time to explore the FTP and email instructions more fully later in the week.

Looking forward to the continuation in the next issue too.

I note that lynx was written for UNIX by Seung-Hong Oh, in 1996, whom I can assume was a student at the time.

He mentions as upgraded version being available in one of the texts, which presumably did get completed, as this is nearly ten years ago.

One of the things the QL port would benefit from is a nice 'front end' to integrate this as a suite of applications. Also a menu driven way of providing the details of the users system and preferences.

Using text editors and changing lines beginning with a # sign, is not everyone's taste I am sure.

--
Malcolm Cadman
  • ... Malcolm Cadman
          • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
            • ... P Witte
            • ... Dilwyn Jones